Electrical Fire Destroys Bowie, Maryland Home

A 2-story Cape Cod-style home was destroyed in the afternoon on Sunday, September 21, shortly after electricity to the community had been restored, after Tropical Storm Isabel.


A 2-story Cape Cod-style home was destroyed in the afternoon on Sunday, September 21, shortly after electricity to the community had been restored, after Tropical Storm Isabel.

Firefighters from the Bowie area and surrounding communities were dispatched to the 12600 block of Knowledge Lane for a report of a house fire at about 2:30 PM.

The entire neighborhood was without power since Tropical Storm Isabel had passed through on Thursday. The electricity was restored at about 2:00 PM.

The homeowners discovered the fire when they returned home and saw smoke coming from a window. The fire was determined to have started in an electrical appliance in the kitchen and spread throughout the entire house.

Fifty-three firefighters and paramedics were on the scene of this blaze that took 45 minutes to extinguish.

One firefighter sustained minor burns and was treated and released at the Burn Unit of The Washington Hospital Center.

The fire resulted in damages of $150,000 to the structure and $50,000 to the contents. One family pet (a dog) expired as result of the fire and thick smoke.

Citizens and residents that are still without electrical power are reminded to unplug all appliances before power is restored. This will prevent damage from a power surge and will ensure that an appliance is not left ON accidentally. Control knobs on stoves and ovens should also be checked to ensure that they are in the OFF position.