Dog Rescued From Burning District of Columbia Home

The four-year-old Mastiff was removed from her smoke-filled house on Clay St., NE DC early Monday.


Uno has a lot to be thankful for this holiday weekend. The four-year-old Mastiff was removed from her smoke-filled house on Clay St., NE DC early Monday. She was in the house by herself - as an arcing power line set the roof on fire.

Units responded at 5:40 AM for the house fire, 4200 Clay St., NE DC. First arriving firefighters on Engine 27 found fire on the roof and power lines on fire and arcing. Firefighters made entry, and in the course of fighting the fire, found Uno at the front door laboring to breathe. She was removed by Kevin Anderson of 30 Engine and placed on the front lawn, where she began to breathe on her own.

"The only thing I could think of was 'where's my dog, where's my dog?'" said the homeowner, who did not wish to be identified. He was not home at the time but arrived shortly after the fire was extinguished after having been notified by a neighbor. "I want to thank [firefighters] for all they did!"

Investigator Wesley Hamilton determined a fault in the power line feeding the house sparked the fire on the roof. Damage estimates were placed at $60,000.