New York Firefighters Contend with Fire During Blackout

On the morning of the blackout on August 15, 2003 at 1:00am a fire occurred at 37 South Fifth Avenue in Mount Vernon, New York.


On the morning of the blackout on August 15, 2003 at 1:00am a fire occurred at 37 South Fifth Avenue in Mount Vernon, New York.

The La Puerta Roja bar was located there. It appears that the fire started due to candles that were burning in a second floor apartment. One victim suffered smoke inhalation and was rushed to Lawrence Hospital. No one else was seriously injured.