South Carolina House Fire

At 3:42 am, Wednesday July 27, Colleton County Fire-Rescue responded to a house fire on Mount Carmel Road.


At 3:42 am, Wednesday July 27, Colleton County Fire-Rescue responded to a house fire at 1509 Mount Carmel Road.

Initial calls to 9-1-1 reported the house was well involved.

Engine 2601 was on scene within 2 minutes to find heavy fire showing from the single story wood frame structure. The roof had partially collapsed.

Firefighters made an exterior attack with one 2 inch and one 1-3/4 hand line.

A second 1-3/4 hand line was used to protect a two car garage and work shop located 5 feet from the house.

The heavy fire was knocked down over a ten minute period allowing crews to enter the building.

The fire was under control in 20 minutes. Overhaul took about one hour.

The house suffered heavy damage, but the garage only suffered heat damage on the "B" side of the building.

The owner of the house was not at home.

Fire Investigators determined the fire started on the stove in the kitchen. The owner later confirmed he had been frying French fries earlier in the evening.

There were no injuries reported during the incident.

Engine 2601, Engine 1901, Tanker 103, Tanker 1904, Tanker 2602, Medic 1, Medic 27 and Squad 1 responded. Captain Richard Sheffield served as Incident Commander.