Las Vegas House Fire Displaces Five People

Five people are displaced tonight after their home was destroyed by fire late Tuesday afternoon. Fire investigators ruled the fire accidental, the result of an unattended candle burning in a closet. No one was injured.

Firefighters from Las Vegas and Clark County were dispatched at 4:22 p.m. that a fire was burning in an upstairs bedroom closet of a home at 10024 Sailfish Circle (Hualapai/W. Sahara). When firefighters arrived, heavy flames and smoke was showing from the two story wood frame/stucco home. Shortly after firefighters arrived, flames broke through the roof of the home and the roof of the house caved in. It took firefighters approximately 45 minutes to bring the fire under control.

The fire caused extensive damage to the house. Damage is estimated at $275,000.

Four people, three teen-agers and a grandmother, were home when the fire started. The teens told fire investigators they had a candle burning in a large closet of the master bedroom. They thought they put the candle out, but later while watching TV, smoke alarms and thick smoke coming from the closet indicated the house was on fire. All four occupants escaped without injury.

Five family members are displaced, receiving assistance from the American Red Cross and the Las Vegas Fire & Rescue Foundation. Two pet dogs were also saved from the fire.

Loading