An Ascension Parish firefighter was transported to the hospital for treatment of heat exhaustion Saturday night from the scene of a structure fire.
St. Amant and 7th Dist fire departments of Ascension Parish were dispatched to 12386 Jim Babin Rd. in the St. Amant community Saturday at 10:17 p.m., for a working structure fire.
Sorrento and Galvez-Lake fire departments were dispatched for extra water and manpower.
The fire was brought under control by within 18 minutes but not before the fire entered the attic of the home and caused major damage to the home, stated Chief Officer James E. LeBlanc.
The fire is still under investigation, but it appears a golf cart plugged up for recharging could be the cause.
The owner noticed something could be wrong when his local cable TV went out. They started smelling smoke and proceeded to go outside when the found the golf cart in flames.
The fire spread to a shed and eventually, to the house.
Twenty-eight firefighters along with nine apparatus responded to the call.
After the fire was under control, crews were able to locate the family dog still in the home. They administered oxygen. The pet was transported to a local vet.
The home was valued at $120,000.