Woman Killed in N.J. House Fire


AVENEL, N.J. – Officials are investigating the cause of a house fire on Jansen Avenue that left one woman dead inside her home. She was the only one home at the time of the blaze.

On Feb. 14, 2011 4:48 p.m., the Avenel Department received a report of an unknown type fire at 492 Jansen Ave.

Shortly after, dispatch advised all responding apparatus that they were receiving additional calls reporting flames showing from the front window of the home.

That's what firefighters found.  A suppression team from Engine 5-4 stretched and advanced a hand line through the front door to the living room area where the main body of the fire was located.

The fire was quickly knocked with one hand line, but a heavy smoke condition still existed throughout the house.

Once the bulk of the fire was knocked, the suppression team advanced further into the house to conduct a primary search and located a person lying on the floor in the living room.

The person was immediately removed by firefighters through the front door.

Although the person was located and removed quickly, they were pronounced dead at the scene by EMS personnel.

The fire was declared under control at 5:09 p.m. by Avenel Fire Chief Dan Mizak.

The home sustained heavy fire damage in the living room area with heavy smoke damage throughout. There was no fire extension beyond the living room.

Firefighters remained on the scene for several hours wrapping up equipment and providing assistance with lighting during the investigation.

Mutual aid fire departments from Colonia, Fords, Hopelawn, and Iselin #9 assisted at the scene, while Iselin #11 and Carteret Fire Departments stood-by at Avenel’s fire headquarters for coverage during the incident.

Woodbridge Emergency Squad provided medical evaluation and rehabilitation for firefighters operating at the scene.

The house was deemed uninhabitable and posted by the Woodbridge Township Building Department.

The cause of the fire is being investigated by the Avenel Fire Prevention Bureau, Woodbridge Police and Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office.