Careless Smoking Leads to N.J. Fire


On Jan. 3, companies were dispatched to the 900 block of Howe St. for a reported dwelling fire.

Camden County Communications advised responding units they were receiving multiple calls for a house on fire on the block.

Heavy fire was showing from the second floor.

Battalion 1 struck the all hands reporting at 920 Howe St.

Engine 10's personnel secured a water supply as Squad 7's crew led off with an inch-and-three-quarter inch hand line for fire in the rear. Ladder 1 placed ground ladders as the rescue company crews performed searches with negative results.

The fire was knocked, and placed under control. There were no injuries to firefighters.

The occupant reported that he fell asleep while smoking. He was not injured in the fire.