Space Heater Blamed for Florida Fire

 On Dec. 27,  St. Petersburg Fire and Rescue crews responded to a structure fire at 3086 Melrose Ave.They found a one-story masonry home with smoke and heavy fire showing from the front. District Chief Mike Zamparelli, directed fire crews...


 On Dec. 27,  St. Petersburg Fire and Rescue crews responded to a structure fire at 3086 Melrose Ave.

They found a one-story masonry home with smoke and heavy fire showing from the front.

District Chief Mike Zamparelli, directed fire crews as they fought the fire and searched the structure.

He stated the firefighters used multiple hand lines to extinguish the fire and to protect the home next door.

One elderly occupant from the house next door was treated for smoke inhalation and transported to Bayfront Medical Hospital.

Annie Burton-Scott said she just left the house for 10 minutes leaving her space heater on in the living room. When she returned, the house was engulfed in flames.

Fire crews had the fire under control within 15 minutes.

Fire investigators have blamed the space heater for the blaze.

The American Red Cross will relocate the family. The house is a total loss.