Iron Blamed for New York Fire

On Nov. 22, at 3:04 p.m.,, the Hicksville Fire Department was dispatched to a house fire at 16 Arrow Lane.

Assistant Chief Frank Mc Geough (9303) found heavy smoke and fire showing from the first floor of a two-story residence.

The fire had extended to the second floor of the house.

Firefighters mounted an aggressive interior fire attack looking for any occupants that still may have been inside.

They quickly stretched hose lines and put ladders up. Hampering firefighting efforts was the collapse of the interior staircase early into the fire.

Only after a ladder was placed inside were firefighters able to quickly get up to the second floor with two handiness to extinguish the remaining fire, which was brought under control in just under an hour.

All the occupants of the house were able to exit safely prior to the fire department arriving.

There were no reported injuries.

The Hicksville Fire Department was assisted by the Westbury, Jericho, Levittown, Bethpage and East Meadow Fire Departments.

All fire department operations were under the command of Chief of Department Edward Korona.

The cause of the fire at this time is believed to be from an unattended iron left on by the homeowner.