Blaze Damages Mass. Garage, Vehicles

At 4:39 p.m., on Monday, Nov. 22,  Oxford Fire was dispatched after receiving two calls reporting a car on fire inside a garage.  The fire was spreading to the garage itself at 19 Patricia Drive on the far north side of town.

As Chief Wilson approached the scene, it was obvious by the large glow in the sky and the billowing smoke from the structure that they indeed had a working fire.

Oxford Chief Sheri Bemis requested a third-alarm be struck bringing in mutual aid to the scene and for station coverage.

In the meantime, Leicester Car 1 had already called for Engine 3 and Forestry 3, stationed only three-quarters-of a mile from the fire scene to be toned out mutual aid to Oxford.

Being out of a hydrant district, the 1500 gallon forestry truck was requested first due while personnel from Engine 3 would lay its  four-inch supply hose to a pond just down the road.

Captain Tebo of Leicester stretched the initial 1 ¾” hand line and started hitting the heavy volume of fire from the outside.

A second hand line was also quickly deployed as additional firefighters initiated aggressive attack on the structure was made.

In addition to the car inside, the garage already consumed by the blaze. There was also an additional vehicle that appeared to have been in the driveway but pushed into the street by the homeowner. The vehicle in the road also had heavy fire showing from the engine compartment.

Oxford Fire & EMS crews to aid in fire attack. In addition to the two engines and tanker from Leicester, a pumper from Auburn Fire was also brought in to assist in fire attack and overhaul operations.

The fire was contained to the garage and front portions of the attic and roof of the building while excessive heat and smoke did moderate to severe damage to the rest of the adjoining structure.

The Webster Fire Department provided station coverage to the Town of Oxford with an engine and an ambulance at fire headquarters.

Firefighters remained on scene mopping up and picking up equipment before finally clearing the scene around 8 p.m.

The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental. The car reportedly caught on fire while the owner was working on it inside the garage.