On April 5, 2003, the second day of a five day Ice Storm, the Bushnell's Basin Fire Association in Western New York battled a house fire.
The fire began as a result of battery failure. The battery was being used to provide back-up power to the sump pump. The fire traveled through a hot air duct from the basement to a second floor bedroom, making it difficult to locate at first.
The fire was under control within 25 minutes of arrival. The fire was fought by 48 firefighters from the Bushnell's Basin Fire Association and two neighboring companies.