Indiana Firefighters Battle Industrial Fire

On January 17,2003, the Kingsbury Volunteer fire department was dispatched to a industrial structure fire at 1150 PM in the Kingsbury Industrial park. First due units were able to see the fire from several miles away.


On January 17,2003, the Kingsbury Volunteer fire department was dispatched to a industrial structure fire at 1150 PM in the Kingsbury Industrial park. First due units were able to see the fire from several miles away. Upon arrival of Chief Mark Ritter, mutual aid was requested from Pleasant, Scipio, Lincoln, Noble and Kingsford Union Township Fire Departments.

Firefighters encountered heavy fire, and a partial collapse of the building. A large quantity of 55gallon drums containing used oil were stored inside the building, a large number of which exploded during the firefighting effort, adding to the danger. One barrel was propelled into the air and landed about 30 feet from firefighters operating a monitor. In addition to the heat , crews had to battle temperatures in the single digits.

There were no injuries to any personnel during the operation. The building was a total loss. It was determined that the blaze originated from a space heater.