Faulty Stove Blamed For Florida Fire

  DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - A faulty heating element was determined as the cause of an early evening fire on Saturday, Oct.9. Daytona Beach Fire Department units responded to the 400 block of Vermont Street just before 7:30 p.m. to heavy smoke...


 

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - A faulty heating element was determined as the cause of an early evening fire on Saturday, Oct.9.

Daytona Beach Fire Department units responded to the 400 block of Vermont Street just before 7:30 p.m. to heavy smoke coming from the front door of a converted two-story apartment house.

Fire crews were able to gain quick access to the first floor unit and confine the fire to the kitchen and hallway area.

Reports state the residents of the unit had gone out for the evening and no one was home at the time of the fire.

Officials from the state fire marshal's office determined a pot left on a faulty heating element was the cause of the fire.

No injuries were reported. Damage was estimated to be around $5,000.