New Hampshire Firefighters Battle Barn Blaze

The quick response of firefighters from seven departments is being credited with saving the home of an elderly man in Wolfeboro, New Hampshire, on March 21, 2003.


The quick response of firefighters from seven departments is being credited with saving the home of an elderly man in Wolfeboro, New Hampshire, on March 21, 2003.

Alerted by a passerby just before 10 a.m., the homeowner made it to safety while neighbors and local police began removing animals from the attached two-story barn.

Horses, dogs, a goat and chickens were removed from the barn though several chickens and piglets did not survive the fire.

Firefighters from Wolfeboro, Tuftonboro, Ossipee Corner, West Ossipee, Alton, Wakefield and New Durham arrived on the scene to find heavy fire in the barn. They were able to contain the fire to the barn and prevent it from spreading to the attached ell and single-story home.

The fire has been ruled accidental, caused by a heating lamp being used to keep the piglets warm.

Firefighters from Moultonboro, Gilmanton and Farmington also responded to provide station coverage.