Oregon Firefighters Respond to Mobile Home Fire

 

On the morning of August 5,  2010 at  9 a.m., Clackamas Fire crews were dispatched to a mobile home fire at 16429 S. Redland Rd., just south of Oregon City. The 911 call came from a passerby reporting thirty-foot flames.

The first-arriving engine company called for a second alarm due to the twenty-foot flames, heavy smoke engulfing the south end of the home, and the rural location. They immediately went to work to get the flames knocked down.

This mobile home had many additions, including a large wrap-around deck, and was placed on top of a basement-type of structure. All of this made it dangerous and difficult to get to the seat of the fire. After nearly 30 minutes, firefighters were able to bring the fire under control. Thirty firefighters were on scene from Clackamas Fire with some assistance from Gladstone Fire.

The residents of the home were able to make it outside, but they did re-enter the home to try to rescue their pets. Because of that, they did inhale some smoke and carbon monoxide. Five people lived in the home and three of them (one adult and two teenagers) were transported due to the high levels of carbon monoxide. Four cats were rescued and resuscitated by firefighters, but six to seven did not survive.

While firefighters were performing overhaul duties they came across a smoke alarm that was sitting on a shelf with the battery lying next to it. Investigators said preliminary findings pointed toward an unattended candle as the cause of the fire, with damage estimates nearing $200,000.

Loading