On January 17, 2003, Lincoln Fire & Rescue, of Lincoln, Nebraska responded to a 3 alarm blaze. The business was Green's Plumbing/Heating, a family business that has been in the Lincoln area for 62 years. The building itself was nearly 100 years old. The building and seven apartments above it, were a total loss. The preliminary loss was set at more than $1 million dollars.
Firefighters from 21 units across the city, including firefighters who were called in while off duty, battled the blaze. The first call came in at 12:31 p.m., and firefighters worked through the late afternoon at the scene. On arrival, firefighters rescued an individual from the second story building. We also had a firefighter sustain a broken ankle during this incident.