Oregon Firefighters Extinguish Transformer Fire

Approximately 80 people had to be evacuated from a Hillsboro apartment complex after a student driver crashed her car into an electrical transformer, resulting in a fire that threatened the apartment building.

The incident occurred in June at the Windhaven Apartments at 305 NW Edgeway Drive. An adult female, the sole occupant of the car, reported that she started the car and it jumped forward, dislodging an electrical transformer that fed the apartments. The crash sparked a fire in the transformer which produced considerable smoke. Flames spread to an adjacent transformer.

An engine company from Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue was first on scene and requested additional resources. Another engine and a ladder truck company from Hillsboro Fire and Rescue Ronler Acres Station 3 responded to help evacuate the 104 units in that building. No one was injured.

Firefighters were unable to put water on the burning transformer due to the energized electrical circuits. PGE crews shut off the electricity by 11:45 a.m. and firefighters quickly extinguished the fire. At that point, residents were allowed to return to their apartments. The building was not damaged.

Loading