BROCKTON, MA. -- Around 5:50 p.m.Saturday, Jan. 23, a Brockton police officer was passing by 104 Newbury St. when he noticed smoke coming from the home.
He notified the fire department and checked for any occupants. The officer helped evacuate a woman and her child from the home.
Fire was showing from a two-and -a-half-story wood-framed occupied dwelling.
A working fire assignment was requested, bringing an additional ladder company to the scene.
Firefighters found heavy fire conditions on the second and third floors of the multi-family dwelling, approximately 20-feet by 40-feet. After firefighters from Ladder-1 vented the roof, heavy fire could be seen emanating from the vent hole and windows on the third floor.
Command struck a second-alarm and crews were ordered out of the building. Personnel set up two ladder pipes and several hand lines out side of the building to knock the fire in a defensive attack.
Two occupants of the home were transported to a local hospital as a precaution following the fire. Two Brockton firefighters were also transported to the hospital reportedly suffering minor injuries.
The cause of the blaze, that did an estimated $100,000 worth of damage to the home, was faulty wiring.