On December 2, 2004, Delray Beach (FL) Fire-Rescue firefighters were extinguishing a Cherokee Jeep fire when the magnesium reacted with the water causing an explosion as the firefighters were next to it.
One firefighter was caught in the exploding magnesium. Due to having all of his PPE on, he was not injured. The bunker coat, hood, and other components were damaged by the fire.
Continuous application of water extinguished the fire, however there were several more reactions before the fire was completely extinguished.