Dryer Blamed for S.C. House Fire

 

On Nov. 15, Colleton County Fire-Rescue responded to a single-family dwelling fire at 118 David Street in the Eastside Acres subdivision.

The crew of Engine 19 found heavy smoke conditions throughout the structure with fire venting from a window on the "B" side of the building. Firefighter-Paramedics deployed an 1-3/4 handline, entering through the front door and found the fire in the rear dinner room.

Interior crews quickly knocked down the fire containing most of the damage to the dining room/kitchen area. The remainder of the home suffered smoke and heat damage.

The residents were at home when they smelled smoke. Upon investigation, they discovered smoke in the dining room near where a clothes dryer was set up in the corner.

They awaken a child, and then evacuated the house. The home was not equipped with smoke detectors.

Within minutes, the homeowner stated the smoke became so intense he could no longer see where the fire was burning and he also exited the building. A second handline was deployed from Engine 19, but it was not used.

No injuries were reported during the incident. Following an investigation, it was determined the fire originated from the clothes dryer, apparently in the vent tube.

Loading