Manchester Firefighters Respond to Blaze

At 12:35 a.m. on May 5, firefighters from the Manchester, N.H. Fire Department were dispatched to a reported building fire at 72 Vernon Street. While responding, crews were advised by dispatch that a caller reported a bedroom fire with occupants unaccounted for.

Firefighters arrived on scene and reported that there was a two-story wood frame dwelling with heavy fire showing. Crews performed a primary search with negative results, and began a fierce offensive attack on the fire before heavy fire conditions required command to order an evacuation.

The fire was brought under control in less than forty minutes, and crews were on scene for an extensive period performing overhaul.

Ambulances reportedly transported three victims to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation, and command later requested services from the American Red Cross to assist twelve people displaced by the fire. The fire is believed to have been caused by an unattended candle.

Loading