Shortly after midnight the Mt. Arlington fire department was dispatched for a chimney fire at 20 Hopatcong Ave in Mount Arlington, NJ.
Chief Steve Norman reported flames blowing out the A and B sides of a single-story wood frame dwelling. Moments later, he began to hear what had initially sounded like propane tanks exploding in the home's garage. Three vehicles in the garage were engulfed in flames. Mt. Arlington Fire was re-dispatched for the working house fire. The residents of the home had safely evacuated on their own before first responders arrived on scene.
Evacuation tones were sounded as a partial roof collapse occurred. Mutual aid was requested from Jefferson Fire Co. No. 2, Picatinny Arsenal and Roxbury. Mt. Arlington Fire was dispatched for a small rekindle fire in the garage at 4:37 a.m.Norman requested one pumper to respond back to the scene.
Capt. Jeffrey Paul, spokesman for Morris County Prosecutor Robert A. Bianchi, said Thursday afternoon, "The origin and cause investigation revealed that the fire originated within a ground floor wall in close proximity to where the wood burning stove flue pipe connects with the cement block chimney."