On the morning of Monday, Oct. 8, just after 7 a.m., Miami-Dade Fire Rescue responded to a report of a strip mall fire.
When units arrived, they found flames and heavy smoke emitting from the roof area of the structure. Though the fire and smoke were heaviest over a nail salon, it was rapidly spreading throughout the common attic space of several adjacent businesses.
Facing this challenge, it was immediately decided that additional crews were necessary and a second alarm was declared. These extra crews were to access the building's roof and begin cutting holes in it in order to search for, and extinguish, the fire that was initially hidden.
In addition to the task of fighting the blaze, firefighters were subject to falling debris such as drywall, vents, and light fixtures. Approximately 50 firefighters had the fire under control within one hour.
The building was unoccupied and no injuries were reported. The cause of the fire was deemed accidental/electrical in nature and it involved the wiring to a light fixture.