Firefighters in Enfield, Conn. responded to an early morning blaze Wednesday, August 1. Crews from each of the city's five fire departments responded to a working structure fire in a single family home on Walnut Street in downtown Enfield.
Firefighters from Thompsonville Fire Department's Squad 21 arrived first on the scene to find heavy fire issuing from the entire first floor of the two-and-a-half story dwelling. They confirmed that all occupants had escaped the inferno safely as they began their aggressive attack.
Automatic mutual aid companies from Hazardville, North Thompsonville, Enfield and Shaker Pines fire departments assisted with the attack and protection of the nearby exposures in the densely populated area.
Initial suppression efforts were hampered by a lack of adequate water supply due to a blocked hydrant and substandard water mains at other hydrants which required laying in supply lines from much more distant sources.
Exposures on the B & D sides were damaged but remained occupied after the fire and efforts to protect a 100 gallon propane tank adjacent to an exposure were successful.