On Sunday, Oct. 12, at around 1:58 p.m. Kent Center dispatched Station 44 (Citizens Hose Company of Smyrna) and Ambulance 64 (Smyrna American Legion) for a structure fire at 29 E. Commerce Street.
The fire was located about two blocks from the firehouse in the former Smyrna Times Building. The building dates back to the mid 1800's and is in the historic section of town.
As Smyrna Chief John Embert was arriving at the station, he notified Kent Center to request a second alarm be sounded for Station 44. Engine 44-2 reported heavy smoke showing on arrival. As companies made their way inside they found heavy fire on the second and third floors. Units from Stations 45 (Clayton), 46 (Dover), 43 (Cheswold), and 51 (Hartly) assisted.