Teen Rescued After Gas Explosion in Massachusetts Home

On June 25, 2004, a 16-year-old girl was rescued after an explosion and fire ripped through her 2.5-story wood frame home in Danvers, Massachusetts.

Heavy smoke and fire was coming from the front of the house as apparatus from both Danvers and Beverly soon arrived.

Fortunately for the girl, who was sleeping on the third floor, a passing motorist stopped and with the help of two nearby contractors threw a ladder to the second floor window and rescued her.

Investigators determined that the pilot from the gas stove ignited polyurethane fumes from floor refinishing.

Lt. Michael Perry of the Danvers Fire Department was overcome at the scene and transported by Lyons Ambulance to Beverly hospital where he was treated and released. The rescued girl was also treated and released from Beverly Hospital. Two of her rescuers were transported to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston with second and third degree burns.

Loading