Washam, Wyoming Home a Complete Loss after Fire

A man went back into the burning home for a wheelchair.


On Sunday Dec 10, at 11:33 Manila Fire Department was dispatched to a structure fire just across the Utah-Wyoming Line in Washam, Wyoming. First due units arrived in three minutes to a fully engulfed home.

The fire was believed to have been started by a hot water heater.

The fire was reported when an unkown person knocked on the door of the Magana family, about a quarter mile away from the burning residence. Adam Magana dialed 9-1-1, and handed the phone to the bystander. He then sprinted to the home to offer assistance.

Two elderly residents, Ruth & Pam Jarvie, were inside and refused to leave. However, Magana and Keith Larsen carried out women before firefighters arrived. Magana then went back into the structure for a wheelchair

Green River responded from 55 miles away responded with six firefighters. Sweetwater County from 70 miles away assisted with a tanker and three firefighters. Manila had 11 firefighters respond with four apparatus.

The home was a complete loss.