On April 19, 2004, the Sweeney Hose Company #7 in North Tonawanda, New York responded to a house blaze.
The fire sent plumes of thick, black smoke into the air, and could be seen for miles, as neighbors gathered nearby to watch. High winds, a down power line (resting on a chain link fence near the house), and a malfunctioning hydrant slowed firefighter efforts.
The chimney was unstable, and later collapsed on its own. Therefore, the house was ruled unsafe for fire investigators. The house was ordered for emergency demolition.
The blaze caused $170,000 in damage. No injuries were reported. The red cross was called in to assist a family living on the third floor.