At Approximately 12:30 p.m. on Dec. 4, North Central Fire Alarm received a 911 call from the resident at 5212 Flint stating that their back room was on fire.
Five engine companies were dispatched on the first alarm assignment. Normandy Fire Protection District Deputy Chief Tom Harwin arrived with suppresion companies and radioed that the house was heavily involved.
This fire occurred four days after a severe ice storm devastated parts of the St. Louis region. Besides the extreme smoke and heat conditions that firefighters faced on their interior attack, the outside fireground was an extreme hazard with several inches of ice and snow on the ground.
The ice storm had knocked out the electricity to the home and the family had been using their gas stove to stay warm. While his brother and parents slept, a six-year-old put paper in the oven, sparking the fire. Everyone escaped unharmed.
The additional alarms were struck bringing an additional six engine companies, a tower ladder, and a quint. The Command Van as well as the rehab bus also responded to the scene.