Firefighters from the Harrison Township Fire Department battled a two-alarm structure fire Tuesday morning at the Stagecoach Restaurant located in the village of South Bloomfield.
At 9:48 a.m. the Pickaway County, Ohio Sheriff's Office dispatched three unit firefighters from Harrison Township Fire Department to the report of a commercial building fire on the corner of Walnut St and Main St.
The Stagecoach Restaurant occupied a building with the restaurant on the first floor and apartments above on the second floor.
Country music performer Dwight Yoakam, a Columbus native, once called the Stagecoach Inn the "roughest" bar he ever played.
A commercial building fire assignment was dispatched consisting of Harrison Engine's 802 and 801 with mutual aid Engine 401 from Scioto Twp and City of Circleville Tower 106.
Shift commander Capt. Chad Noggle (Battalion 801) found the 100' x 60' structure heavily involved in fire. He assumed command and ordered a second alarm be dispatched, and advised all hands would be working.
Engines 802 and 801 arrived in front of the fire building, and the crew was ordered to stretch a 2.5" blitz line to initiate an offensive attack. As hose team members forced the front door, they were met with heavy smoke and fire rolled out the front door over their heads.
Engineers from Engines 802 and 801, joined by Photo 801 quickly stretched a 5" supply line as entry was made in to the restaurant. As HTFD personnel were attacking the fire from the "A" side, next due Engine 401 arrived and their hose team advanced a 1.75" attack line inside through a door on the "D" side.
Circleville City Tower 106's crew ventilated the second floor area and cut a hole in the roof.
Second alarm companies Pickaway Twp FD Engine 202 and Hamilton Twp FD Ladder 172 joined the units already operating at the scene.
Approximately 30 minutes after dispatch, Noggle declared the fire under control. All units cleared the scene just over four hours after dispatch.
Fire investigators from the State of Ohio Fire Marshal's Office determined the fire was electrical in nature and deemed accidental. There were no civilian or firefighter injuries and no other structures were damaged.
Harrison Township Fire Chief Bill Welsh set the damage estimate at $200,000