Ashes Blamed for Ore. House Fire

Fire investigators have ruled that a Jan. 7 fire that claimed the life of a family dog in Milwaukie was  caused by improperly discarding ashes from the fireplace. At approximately 10:42 dispatch center began receiving 911 calls reporting a house on...


Fire investigators have ruled that a Jan. 7 fire that claimed the life of a family dog in Milwaukie was  caused by improperly discarding ashes from the fireplace.

At approximately 10:42 dispatch center began receiving 911 calls reporting a house on fire at 2518 SE Laurel St.

Upon arrival, Clackamas County crews found a two-story stone construction home with smoke and flames showing.  There was a a detached garage/carport and two vehicles well involved in fire as well. Firefighters also observed a live power line down on the ground.

This fire was particularly challenging to fight, due to the stone and heavy roof and ceiling construction.

There were working smoke detectors in the home, however the homeowners were alerted to the fire by a family pet, before smoke had entered the home and activated the smoke detectors.

The two occupants, and a second dog were able to escape the fire. 

The ashes were taken from the house in a container and placed in close proximity to a stack of dry combustible materials. The fire started outside and spread inside the home causing $100,000 in damages.