Resident Jumps to Escape Mich. House Fire

Around 10:30 a.m. on Jan. 5, the Taylor Fire Department received a report of a possible house fire with someone trapped.

Taylor Engine one arrived to find heavy smoke and fire showing from the second floor. The fire had self vented from the A,C and D sides.

One resident received burns after opening the dryer that was on fire. The second resident ran upstairs to call 911 and was then trapped by the rapidly advancing fire. The second resident was forced to jump from the front window and was taken to the hospital.

The first crew advanced on the fire after the roof was opened and found heavy flames in the kitchen. The second team advanced up the stairs and found near flashover conditions.

The fire was brought under control without any firefighter injuries.

The attached covered porch on the C side of the building was completely consumed by the fire.

The upstairs was loaded with many heavy items and the was furnace at the top of the stairs. The attacking crews also had to deal with hanging wires and possible oxygen bottles that were reported to be in the house. The residents survived but they did lose one pet in the fire.

Units on scene: Taylor Fire Department Engine 1, Engine 2, Engine 3 and Battalion 1 and the Dearborn Heights Fire Department

  • Want to submit a photo story from a recent fire or rescue incident? Click here to learn how.

Loading