Photo credit: Photo by Salem Fire Dept.
At approximately 08:28 a.m. on Feb. 1, fire crews from the Salem Fire Department were dispatched to the 2200 block of Madrona Avenue SE for a report of a fire located in a bio-processor unit at a business.
The fire was discovered by employees who were working on the machinery who then called 911. Portable fire extinguishers were initially used by employees in an attempt to extinguish the fire. However, due to the concealed location of the conveyor belt and difficult access, the fire grew quickly out of control.
Salem Engine 6 arrived and found the equipment well involved with fire. Due to the close proximity of the burning equipment to the adjacent building, additional firefighting resources were called and hydrant supply lines were laid.
A total of five fire engines, two water tenders, one ladder truck, and command staff were at the scene. Rural Metro Ambulance also responded for medical coverage.
The fire was deemed out at 9:36 a.m. and no injuries were reported. It was contained to the equipment and damage was estimated at approximately $20,000.
The cause of the fire appears to be welding and cutting operations that ignited the internal conveyor belt of the equipment.