Resident Airlifted from N.C. House Fire

Firefighters from the Tryonota, Agriculture Center and Hugh’s Pond fire departments in Gaston County responded to the house fire where a 40-year-old man was burned.


A 40-year-old man was airlifted from a Gaston County house fire with third degree burns to his hands and back on Jan. 31. 

Just before 10:00 a.m. the Tryonota, Agriculture Center and Hugh’s Pond fire departments in Gaston County were dispatched to 136 Z.A. Hunter Road.

Firefighters arrived to find the man outside the home, which was heavily involved in fire. Crews entered the structure and made their initial attack battling the flames for more than 20 minutes.

Gaston County EMS transported the man and he was airlifted to Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center. No firefighters were injured. 

The house was a total loss and the American Red Cross was called to assist the occupants.

The Gaston County Fire Investigation Task Force ruled the fire accidental. It started due to a kerosene heater located in the living room.

For firefighters from the three departments this was their second house fire in 24 hours.

Units on scene: Engine 700, Tanker 703, Tanker 725, Tanker 613, Ladder 61, Rescue 619, Gaston County Fire Marshal

  • Want to submit a photo story from a recent fire or rescue incident? Click here to learn how.