One person was treated for smoke inhalation during a house fire in Portland on Feb. 17.
At 11:12 a.m. Portland Fire & Rescue crews were dispatched to a residential house fire at 32 NE Freemont.
When crews arrived they found heavy fire from the front of the two-story home. Neighbors told firefighters that they saw a resident jump from a second story window and another exit from the front door.
Engine 24 and Squad 1 sent crews to the interior with hoselines to control the rapidly spreading fire.
Engine 13 searched for additional victims while Truck13 placed ladders on the structure to cut ventilation holes on the roof.
Crews were challenged with containing the fire from spreading to neighboring homes that were just a few feet away.
One resident was evaluated for smoke inhalation injuries by medics at the scene.
Fire investigators determined the fire originated in the couch of the living room most likely due to careless smoking.
The loss was estimated at $200,000.