Man Burned, Rabbit Rescued at Ore. House Fire

One man received minor burns and his family escaped unharmed from a one-alarm house fire in Hillsboro on March 5.

A resident smelled smoke in the house and found melting plastic dripping from a bathroom exhaust fan. He called 911 and dispatchers sent Hillsboro Fire and Rescue crews at 4:21 p.m. The man tried to fight the fire and suffered burn  injuries while his wife and child escaped from the home.

The first engine company to arrive found smoke coming from the eaves of the small home and firefighters quickly mounted an attack and brought the flames in the attic under control in less than 10 minutes.

Firefighters removed a pet rabbit in a cage located in the kitchen. Two house cats managed to escape.

Officials found that the home had no working smoke detectors and the fire caused $15,000 in damage.

  • Want to submit a photo story from a recent fire or rescue incident? Click here to learn how.