Photo Story: Cooking Fire Damages Ore. Apartments

Just after 9:00 a.m. on Aug. 30, 911 received multiple calls reporting smoke and flames coming from an apartment at the Country Oaks Apartmen ts located at 13795 SW Electric St. in Beaverton.

First arriving Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue crews encountered heavy, dark smoke coming from eaves of the two-story building. Residents told firefighters that everyone had evacuated. Firefighters immediately began attacking the fire and confirmed that nobody was left inside.

The incident commander called for a second alarm when fire spread to the attic, bringing additional resources to support fire suppression efforts. Approximately fifty firefighters responded to this incident and the fire was declared under control at around 9:50. Portland Fire & Rescue also assisted on this fire.

One person was transported to an area hospital with burns that were considered non-life threatening. One cat was found deceased and another cat is still missing. In all, 16 units were affected by the fire with smoke, water, and/or fire damage and approximately 40 people were displaced. The Red Cross is assisting impacted residents find alternate housing arrangements.

TVF&R fire investigators determined that the fire started in the kitchen of one of the apartment units as a result of oil in a frying pan. The fire loss is estimated to be $480,000.

Loading