Photo Story: N.C. House Fire Claims Woman

A 76-year-old woman died from the injuries she sustained in the Rocky Mount blaze.


A woman died from the injuries she suffered in Dec. 13 fire in Rocky Mount. 

Shortly before 6 p.m. Rocky Mount firefighters were dispatched to a dwelling fire on the 300 block of Rose Street. Two female occupants exited the dwelling before arrival of fire units.

First arriving Engine 1 reported that they had a single-story dwelling with heavy fire and smoke showing from the A. B and D sides with exposures on both sides.  

Crews found a 76-year-old woman outside of the structure who suffered burns over 50 percent of her body. Patient care was provided aling with Edgecombe Emergency Medical Services who immediately requested for a life flight to UNC Burn Center. 

Engine 1 established a 5-inch water supply line. Firefighters from Engine 1, Ladder 20 and Rescue deployed four 1 3/4-inch hoselines. Engine 5 operated hoselines to protect the exposures.

Firefighters were able to knock down the flames on the front porch and enter the blazing dwelling with a search team. An aggressive interior attack was being made quickly knocking down the flames on the first floor as it was reported that another resident was still inside.

It took fire fighters over 45 minutes to bring blaze under control.

The woman succumbed to her injuries a few days later. 

Upon investigation by the Rocky Mount Fire Marshal Robbie Pate said that the fire started in the bedroom from an electrical extension cord that was over loaded.  

Units on scene: Engines 1, 2, 5, Ladders 10, 30, Rescue 1, Battalion 1, 2