Photo credit: Courtesy of Oshkosh Corporation
OSHKOSH, WIS. (February 2, 2011) - Oshkosh Airport Products Group, a division of Oshkosh Corporation (NYSE: OSK), today announced that its first new generation Oshkosh® Striker® aircraft rescue and firefighting (ARFF) vehicle has been sold to Roberts Field, Redmond Municipal Airport (RDM) in Redmond, Ore. The new Striker 3000 model will be placed into service at RDM in early fall 2011. The new Striker was unveiled last April at the Fire Department Instructors Conference (FDIC).
"The first sale of the all new Striker is an important milestone for the entire Airport Products Group as we transition the vehicle from a working prototype, recently unveiled, to a production model for Redmond Fire and Rescue," said Jeff Resch, Oshkosh Airport Products Group general manager. "The response we've received from ARFF and airport operations professionals from around the globe is beyond our expectations."
"I first saw the new Striker, in person, at the ARFF Working Group meeting last fall in Phoenix, where I rode in and climbed all over the prototype vehicle. I could immediately tell that Oshkosh went to a great deal of effort to upgrade what was already an excellent vehicle," said Dave Pickhardt, Redmond Fire and Rescue Department deputy fire chief. "Our entire fire and rescue team is very thankful for the tremendous support we've received from the Redmond Airport, and especially from airport manager Carrie Novick, who secured the funding to make this possible."
After extensive development for more than three years, the new Striker delivers innovative fire suppression technology; unmatched chassis performance; advanced safety systems; unsurpassed reliability and durability; and smart design. Specific features found on the RDM vehicle include:
- 6x6 axle configuration with Oshkosh TAK4® all wheel independent suspension for smooth ride
- Oshkosh rear steer system to reduce tire wear and improve turning circle
- Turbo charged, 700HP, Tier 4i/Euro 5 emissions compliant engine
- Walk-in engine power pack access through doors on each side of the engine compartment
- Oshkosh low attack bumper turret with high flow discharge and dry chemical capabilities
- Structural firefighting system with crosslay discharges at both sides of the truck
- Dual-Agent swing-out hose reel in a lower compartment
- Redesigned nitrogen bottle storage for safe and easy replacement
- All new cab design with increased glass area for improved driver visibility to all directions
- Segregated vehicle, fire suppression and lighting system controls
- Intuitive, color-coded controls for fire suppression system and easily identified cab switches
- Two monitor screens in the dash to view the FLIR system, backup camera and Command Zone® advanced electronics system
- Oshkosh vehicle data acquisition system
- Larger roll-up compartment doors and increased overall compartment space for enhanced access to equipment and fire suppression system
"There are big changes in the new Striker, beginning with improved outward visibility, and the ergonomics of the cab with all lever and turret operations and controls within reach," added Chief Pickhardt. "Being a single-operator airport, the vehicle operator works by him or herself, so having all controls easily accessible from the operator's seat is a huge advantage. In short, we're all excited to be on the leading edge with the new Striker."
RDM is owned and operated by the City of Redmond for the tri-county area. It is the fourth largest commercial service airport in the state, serving all of Central Oregon. The airport offers approximately 46 arriving and departing flights daily to and from Denver, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Mesa, Portland, Salt Lake City, San Francisco, and Seattle. RDM also serves air cargo and general aviation traffic, including extensive corporate and business travel.
About Oshkosh Airport Products
The Oshkosh Airport Group, a division of Oshkosh Corporation, is a designer and builder of industry-leading airport firefighting and snow removal vehicles. Its flagship Striker® Aircraft Rescue and Fire Fighting (ARFF) vehicle and Oshkosh® H-Series™ snow removal chassis are known for their durability and superior performance and sold throughout the world. For more information, visit www.oshkoshairport.com.
About Oshkosh Corporation
Oshkosh Corporation is a leading designer, manufacturer and marketer of a broad range of specialty access equipment, commercial, fire & emergency and military vehicles and vehicle bodies. Oshkosh Corporation manufactures, distributes and services products under the brands of Oshkosh®, JLG®, Pierce®, McNeilus®, Medtec®, Jerr-Dan®, Oshkosh Specialty Vehicles, Frontline™, SMIT™, CON-E-CO®, London® and IMT®. Oshkosh products are valued worldwide in businesses where high quality, superior performance, rugged reliability and long-term value are paramount. For more information, visit www.oshkoshcorporation.com.