LISLE, IL (May 19, 2010) – Benedictine University has announced the creation of a scholarship honoring those who have served in the aftermath of natural disasters. The University has pledged to provide up to $250,000 in waived tuition for students who traveled to support recovery efforts in locations devastated by natural catastrophes.
"In the days following the earthquake in Haiti, we saw a number of students leave class to go help the Haitian people," said Dr. Donald Taylor, Provost of Benedictine University. "Those students that selflessly served in this capacity bring an attitude and experience that enriches the Benedictine community, and we're proud to honor them as well as welcome others that have done the same."
The scholarship is open to any new or existing online student who has, within the last five years, traveled to and assisted others during a natural disaster. Up to 125 recipients will be awarded tuition equal to one undergraduate or graduate course from any of the University's online programs. Applicants must be enrolled in a course and apply by December 31st, 2010.
In addition to the new scholarship, Benedictine University has shown commitment to recovery efforts through its educational offerings. Specifically, the Master of Public Health program, offered through the University's College of Education and Health Services, offers a certificate in Disaster Management. Additionally, the University trains nurses through its traditional RN-BSN and fully online Master of Science of Nursing programs. In recent years, Benedictine has also offered a First Responder program, which provided free college education to public safety personnel.
Programs offered fully online at Benedictine include:
• Associate of Arts in Business Administration (A.A.B.A.)
• Bachelor of Arts in Management (B.A.M.)
• Bachelor of Arts in Organizational Leadership (B.A.O.L.)
• Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.)
• Master of Public Health (M.P.H.)
• Master of Education (M.Ed.)
• Master of Science in Nursing (M.S.N.)
• Master of Science in Management and Organizational Behavior (M.S.M.O.B.)
• Doctorate of Education in Higher Education and Organizational Change (Ed.D.)
• Graduate Level Certificate in Disaster Management
• Graduate Level Certificate in Health Management and Policy
• Graduate Level Certificate in Health Education and Promotion
For additional information about the Disaster Volunteer Scholarship, visit http://www.onlinedegrees-benedictine.com/disaster-volunteer-scholarship.asp or call 866-295-3104.
About Benedictine University
Benedictine is a traditional, regionally accredited university with a history of excellence dating back more than a century and has a respected faculty made up of scholars and practitioners in their fields. Our mission and vision reflects our Catholic traditions and provide the university with a sense of connection to the past and direction for the future.