Appleton, Wis. (August 28, 2009) - Pierce Manufacturing, an Oshkosh Corporation (NYSE:OSK) company, has manufactured a mobile command center vehicle for the Frisco Fire Department in Frisco, Texas. The vehicle was placed on display today at Fire Rescue International in Dallas, Texas in the Pierce Booth #3101. The vehicle will be placed into service when the FRI Show closes on August 29. The purchase price of the vehicle and its installed equipment is $1.5 million.
"This is the most sophisticated and advanced mobile command center vehicle we've ever manufactured for a fire service organization," said Wilson Jones, Oshkosh Corporation executive vice president and president, Fire & Emergency. "Moreover, the systems integration efforts of Frontline Communications, an Oshkosh Corporation company and a key player in the Oshkosh Corporation Fire & Emergency Segment, were significant in providing a 'single source' capability that is unmatched in the industry."
Among it's many technologies, the vehicle is equipped with highly advanced video streaming capabilities that will be utilized by a jointly-developed program with the Frisco School District known as Situational Awareness for First Responders (SAFER). The system enables the Mobile Command Center to receive live streaming video feeds from any of the security cameras located in Frisco's 36 schools. In addition, the same live streaming video will soon be available through feeds from all 200 of the city's "pan-tilt-zoom" traffic monitoring cameras.
"Our children are this community's most precious resource, and, in case of a fire or other emergency, we'll have access to live video from inside schools and be able to share this footage with our Emergency Operations Center and all first responders - an extra level of security to protect our kids," explained Fire Chief Mack Borchardt of the Frisco, Texas Fire Department. "And when the traffic cameras are online, we'll be able to pinpoint and assess storm damage or other emergency information more quickly and accurately. This will provide our citizens with a new level of service and support."
The mobile command center was customized to meet the unique needs of the Frisco Fire Department. It is built on the Pierce® Velocity™ chassis with TAK-4® independent front suspension, 450-hp engine, Command Zone® advanced electronics and a 62,800 GVW rating.
Pierce Mobile Command Center for Frisco Fire Department Among the Pierce mobile command center many features and capabilities:
- A 34.5-foot long (87.75-inch interior walkway height) aluminum walk-in command body with three slide out modules for additional room inside when deployed at an emergency scene. Total interior floor space with slide out rooms extended is more than 315 sq ft.
- Communications equipment, including a video teleconferencing system and an 800 digital radio system to provide interoperable communications among all responders.
- Twenty video display screens throughout the apparatus, including a 42-inch screen mounted outside the vehicle for incident team briefings.
- Imaging equipment, including portable thermal imaging camera receivers, a mast-mounted thermal imaging camera and mast mounted High Definition (HD) camera to quickly assess emergency situations.
- Conference room with six workstations, two with full dispatch capabilities.