A three-alarm fire swept through a multi-family home in Dorchester Wednesday morning.
NewsCenter 5's Rhondella Richardson reported that the fire broke out at 56 Tuttle St. shortly before 10 a.m. and displaced six people. It took 90 firefighters to battle the blaze, but there were no injuries reported, according to the Boston Fire Department.
"I was coming out of my house, and I saw the lady that lives there yelling," rescuer William Vaillancourt said. "I looked over and I saw some smoke coming out of the back window."
Vaillancourt grabbed a ladder and tried to help a couple that was trapped.
"They climbed over the rail, and they were right on the edge of the roof," he said.
"They were ready to jump. My biggest fear is that I was going to watch someone die," said neighbor Chris McDermott, who called 911. "These people were hanging on the side of the third-floor porch, and a round of smoke was billowing out at them. They were screaming that they were going to jump."
"It was an unbelievable. I never witnessed anything like it in my life," witness Peter Deslauriers said.
Officials said that an electrical short circuit started the fire.
"It is a very close neighborhood, and everyone is going to be heartsick about this," McDermott said.
Copyright 2009 by TheBostonChannel.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.