OKLAHOMA CITY --
An Oklahoma City firefighter is recovering from a broken leg, and another firefighter has an injured shoulder.
Both were injured in a house fire that occurred early Sunday morning.
When firefighters got to the home, located near Northwest 33rd and Shartel, all the people were safely out, officials said.
But firefighters still rushed into the burning home to try and save the family's pets.
Cpl. Daniel Hyer broke his leg when a motorcycle in the living room fell on him, officials said, and Lt. Jimmy Barnett threw his shoulder out trying to rescue him.
"It goes to show everyday that these guys are putting their lives on the line -- the men and women of this department -- to protect property and save lives," Deputy Chief Cecil Clay said.
As for pets the firefighters went in to save, a cat and four kittens made it out all right, but four dogs died in the blaze.
It is believed a space heater on the back porch started the fire, officials said.
It was being used to keep the pets warm.
Fire investigators said that there was about $30,000 worth of damage.
Both firefighters are expected to be OK, official said.
Copyright 2008 by koco.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.