US Judge Rejects Black Firefighters' Suit Against Newport News, Virginia

A federal judge has dismissed a $75 million lawsuit filed against Newport News by a group of black firefighters who argued that their civil rights had been violated.
May 12, 2003
2 min read
NEWPORT NEWS -- A federal judge has dismissed a $75 million lawsuit filed against Newport News by a group of black firefighters who argued that their civil rights had been violated.

The city requested the case be dismissed after pretrial questioning of the firefighters showed no specific evidence of discrimination. Federal Judge Henry C. Morgan Jr. agreed with the city and dismissed the case last month.

Twenty-six African-American firefighters filed the suit in June, alleging city violations of federal laws that require equal workplace treatment.

The firefighters alleged in the suit that they "were forced to work in a racially intimidating and hostile environment." Because that situation went uncorrected, the suit alleged, the firefighters lost benefits and were denied promotions.

Newport News City Attorney Stuart E. Katz said the dismissal vindicated the city's employment practices.

"The city administration does not engage in those illegal activities," Katz said. "The city administration did nothing wrong."

The suit was filed in federal court after the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission dismissed a complaint lodged in March 2002 by six of the firefighters.

For the federal suit, 20 additional firefighters joined the case. In February, Morgan said those 20 firefighters had no right to sue because they had not filed an equal-employment complaint first.

Ira Steingold, one of the attorneys representing the firefighters, said he didn't expect any further action. The firefighters have agreed to pay the city almost $4,000 for the cost of having to defend itself.

Related:

Sign up for Firehouse Newsletters

Voice Your Opinion!

To join the conversation, and become an exclusive member of Firehouse, create an account today!