Off-duty Pa. Deputy Fire Chief Electrocuted at Crash Scene

June 23, 2013
Scott Township Deputy Chief Daniel "JJ" Lomax also was a police officer in the area.

June 23--Daniel "JJ" Lomax was always willing to help.

So when the off-duty police officer and volunteer firefighter came across a car accident in Wayne County early Saturday morning, he stopped to assist. When he left his vehicle, he came into contact with downed power lines.

Lomax was electrocuted and died at the scene. He was 55.

As news of his death spread through the communities where he worked as a part-time officer, and the fire departments where he volunteered, family, friends and colleagues said Lomax died like he lived -- by helping others.

"He always put others first in his book," said Matthew Pritchyk, first assistant chief for the Scott Township Hose Co. Station 36. "He was always looking out for others."

Lomax, of Factoryville, served as deputy chief for the fire department, and also volunteered in Factoryville and for the Meredith Hose Company in Childs. He worked as a part-time police officer for departments in Mayfield, Forest City and Great Bend.

On Saturday at about 3:10 a.m., Lomax came upon the scene of the accident in Salem Township, Wayne County.

Details on the crash Lomax stopped for were unavailable Saturday. The Wayne County coroner's office has ruled Lomax's death accidental.

Lomax came to Factoryville from the Philadelphia area as a teenager to join a foster family, his adoptive brother Steve Brower said. He became a genuine part of the family, as generous to them and others as they were to him.

"My brother is a provider," Brower said. "He gives to everybody."

After serving on area police departments for many years, Lomax left Northeastern Pennsylvania about a decade ago and worked as a police officer in Maryland, colleagues said. He returned to the area about two years ago.

"He was dependable. Everybody liked him. Everybody knew him," Forest City Chief Paul Lukus said. "He'd go out of his way to help you. If I needed him here in two hours, and regardless of what he had going on, he would be there."

Lomax started working in Great Bend in May 2012 and quickly became active on the police force and in the community, Chief Jon Record said.

"He would give his shirt to anybody," Record said. "He died doing what he loved, and that was helping people."

A photo of Lomax and news of his death, which were posted on the police department's Facebook page, quickly got several hundred comments and shares on Saturday.

Mayfield Chief Joseph Perechinsky said Lomax was the "most dedicated officer I've ever seen."

After working in Mayfield a decade ago, he came back to the department a year ago after returning from Maryland.

"I can't say anything negative about the guy," Perechinsky said. "He will be deeply missed by my department."

Laura Legere, a staff writer, contributed to this report.

[email protected], @hofiushallTT

Copyright 2013 - The Citizens' Voice, Wilkes-Barre, Pa.

Voice Your Opinion!

To join the conversation, and become an exclusive member of Firehouse, create an account today!