Hot Shots 5/23

May 8, 2023
First-arriving crews of the Dauphin-Middle Paxton, PA, Fire Company responded to a garage fire in a nonhydranted area and found heavy fire showing from a two-story garage.

MIDDLE PAXTON TOWNSHIP, PA, DEC. 29—First-arriving crews of the Dauphin-Middle Paxton Fire Company responded to a garage fire in a nonhydranted area and found heavy fire showing from a two-story garage and fire running the roof line into the dwelling. An arcing downed power line presented a hazard for initial companies. Engine 38 set up a portable water tank. Engine 37 carried out a trench cut in the roof of the dwelling to cut off horizontal extension. The fire was placed under control in about an hour.

Photo by Jason Coleman-Cobb

BROOKLYN, NY, FEB. 21—FDNY Tower Ladder 119 and Tower Ladder 111 work under a heavy smoke condition to gain access to a three-story commercial building. The building was an exposure to the fire building of origin, which was a one-story lumber storage building. After 15 minutes, the offensive attack on the commercial building had to be transitioned to a defensive attack. Members fought the fire for nearly seven hours, with the heavy load of combustibles in the lumber storage building contributing to that significantly.

Photo by Chris Clarke

BEL AIR, MD, FEB. 18—First-arriving units found a fully involved dwelling with exposures on the house’s Bravo and Delta sides. Bystanders reported hearing a loud explosion and immediately seeing heavy fire in the rear of the dwelling. Quint 3 from the Bel Air Volunteer Fire Company positioned on the Alpha side and placed its ladder pipe into service. The fire was placed under control in approximately 35 minutes. Multiple mutual aid companies assisted. Sixty-eight personnel, 10 engines and 3 trucks responded. One resident perished in the fire.

Photo by John Gallagher

PATERSON, NJ, MARCH 6—On arrival, the Paterson Fire Department reported a large, three-story wood-frame with a working fire on the second-floor rear porch. All companies stretched hoselines. Truck crews ventilated and performed primary searches. With heavy fire showing on the second and third floors, command requested a second alarm. Conditions deteriorated, and members were pulled out of the building. Two aerial streams and two deck guns were set up as heavy fire vented through the roof and worked its way to the front of the building. The fire was knocked down in about three hours.

Photo by Peter Danzo

Voice Your Opinion!

To join the conversation, and become an exclusive member of Firehouse, create an account today!