Hot Shots

Aug. 7, 2023
First-arriving companies of multiple Harford County, MD, departments found the Charlie side of five townhouses well involved.

ABERDEEN, MD, MAY 20—Units from the Abingdon Volunteer Fire Company and other Harford County companies were alerted for a townhouse fire. Responding units were advised that multiple calls of numerous townhouses on fire with explosions occurring were being received. First-arriving units found the Charlie side of five townhouses well involved, with extension into all five. A second alarm was called, which brought approximately 70 firefighters to the scene. Units took nearly two hours to place the fire under control. In total, eight townhouses were condemned. No civilian injuries were reported.

Photo by John Gallagher

SHELTON, CT, MAY 18The Shelton Fire Department was dispatched for a reported generator on fire. First-in companies reported a working fire going up the side of a two-story condominium complex. The fire quickly extended into the structure via the eaves and became difficult to find, as it eluded firefighters throughout the interior walls, peaks and attic. A second alarm was called, which brought mutual aid from the Derby Fire Department and Seymour Volunteer Fire Department. No residents were injured, but the inhabitants of two units were displaced as a result of damage.

Photo by Keith Muratori

JESSUP, PA, APRIL 14Ladder 20 of the Wilson Fire Company (Peckville, PA) sets up at a closed, two-story restaurant, where a heavy smoke condition from the second floor was found on arrival. A second alarm was called. Thick, black smoke quickly changed to heavy fire, and the decision was made for exterior operations only. Approximately 75 firefighters from nine volunteer fire companies responded and remained on scene some three hours after members were dispatched. The fire was ruled arson.

Photo by Chris Dolan

LYNN, MA, APRIL 21Lynn Fire Department companies arrived to find fire showing from the rear porches of a three-story multifamily dwelling. The fire extended into the cockloft. Command struck a second alarm, which brought mutual aid from the Saugus Fire Department. Companies were forced to go defensive because of the rapidly changing fire conditions. Multiple master streams were put into operation to knock down the heavy fire, at which point crews reentered the structure to knock down pockets of fire.

Photo by Patrick Kerrigan

Voice Your Opinion!

To join the conversation, and become an exclusive member of Firehouse, create an account today!