NORTH BRANFORD — A closed door may have saved an unconscious woman trapped in the basement of a burning house in North Branford Saturday afternoon.
Fire Chief William Seward said firefighters arrived at 398 Village St. and took the woman out of the building through a back window. She is being treated at Yale New Haven Hospital for non-life threatening injuries.
The door to the room where she was found had been shut. Although the fire burned through it, the door likely helped keep smoke and flames out of her section of the house, Seward said.
Some 35 North Branford volunteer firefighters responded to the blaze around 12:30 p.m., Seward said.
“The fire was somewhat of a challenge because of the amount of debris in the house,” Seward said, adding that it left little space for firefighters to navigate the building.
A windy day added to the challenge, with the wind driving the fire, Seward said.
Officials had the fire under control in about 45 minutes, according to the chief, who said damage to the house was extensive.
To cover the town’s stations, aid came from North Haven, Wallingford, East Haven and Durham, the chief said.
©2019 the New Haven Register (New Haven, Conn.)
Visit the New Haven Register (New Haven, Conn.) at www.nhregister.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.