CT Crews Battle Electric Bus Fire

July 24, 2022
A Hamden firefighter and two transit workers were transported to the hospital for treatment after the electric bus fire.

Jul. 24—HAMDEN — Firefighters extinguished a burning electric bus Saturday, officials said.

Crews responded to the CT Transit depot Saturday morning for an electric bus fire, officials said on Facebook.

"Lithium ion battery fires are difficult to extinguish due to the thermal chemical process that produces great heat and continually reignites," fire officials said. "Exposures were protected at the scene."

Two transit workers were hospitalized as a precaution after being exposed to the smoke. A firefighter was also taken to the hospital to be treated for heat exhaustion, officials said.

The Hamden fire marshal is investigating the incident, according to the department.

[email protected]


(c)2022 The Register Citizen, Torrington, Conn.

Visit The Register Citizen, Torrington, Conn. at www.registercitizen.com

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

Voice Your Opinion!

To join the conversation, and become an exclusive member of Firehouse, create an account today!